Mornings are kind of like the music that plays when a boxer walks into the arena. Does it make a difference whether you walk in to “All by Myself” or Eminem? I think it does. I find that what I do in the first 90 minutes of waking is a good predictor for what the day is going to be like. That’s why last week I started to manufacture automatic good mornings.
To do so, I thought about the following questions: How would I like to feel throughout the day? What would I like to accomplish? Answers: I’d like to feel unstressed, focused, happy and productive. At the end of the day I’d like to have exercised and worked towards my goals.
As a result of this thinking process I came up with the following morning routine (my reasoning for each item in brackets)
- Get up at 6am (rising early gives me more time in the day)
- Brush teeth (get through the most tedious task first, plus I hear brushing your teeth after meals damages your enamel)
- Drink hot water with lemon (jumpstart metabolism)
- Meditate for 10-15min (enhance concentration and focus, counteract anxiety)
- 20-30min of light exercise (running, stretching, ninjutsu rolls, lifting weights, whatever I feel like), preferably outside (oxygen, sunshine, stimulate endorphin release, increase blood flow)
- Breakfast smoothie (chock full of vitamins, minerals and other good stuff, easy on the digestion)
- Social media activities for the company (habitualizing blogging and marketing)
- Alternating or cold shower (boosting immune system, fat metabolism and hormonal balance)
- Review goals for the day that I have put together the night before (staying on top of organization)
- Head off to day job/attack to-do-list for the day
Positive changes I noticed so far:
- I finally meditate on a regular basis, something I have wanted to do for years.
- I am way more relaxed throughout the day knowing that I already accomplished much earlier.
- Anxiety at night is decreased because I know the next morning is already mapped out.
- I am a lot more motivated to get up.
- I stay on top of the marketing activities for herbiwarrior.
- There is no need for a workout regimen because I do a little bit every day.
Overall I feel like I have created a positive force on my life. Some tweaking will probably be necessary as I settle into more and I will review the whole routine in a few weeks. However, I highly recommend giving it a try.
What is your morning routine? What would you like to start your day with? Share it in the comments.